Monday, May 27, 2013

Hobbit Hole 'Bag End' Cake

This cake was made for my hubby who is a huge LOTR (Lord of the Rings) fan.  Every year, he comes up with a different themed cake.  Last year was Stargate (see cake here) and the year before that was Star Wars (see cake here).

So this year, of course, it had to be Lord of the Rings.  :)

 

The cake is a dark chocolate mud cake layered with dark chocolate ganache and covered in fondant details as well as Swiss Meringue buttercream icing (SMBC).  If you have not tried SMBC, you should definitely give it a go!  It is not overly sweet like normal buttercream icing and has a very smooth and satiny finish.  More on that in another post!

Here are a few more close ups...


 Vegetable patch with lettuce, carrots and a pumpkin.  Dirt was made from chocolate cake crumbs.  Yum!


The little sign on the gate that reads "No Admittance except on party business".  Love that!

Close up of left front side of the house.  The bush on the left is made with leftover cake covered in ganache and SMBC.


Close up of right side of the house.  The little mound is also cake covered in ganache and SMBC.  The little flower pots are made of fondant.



Thanks for looking.  Happy Birthday my sweet!  I look forward to next year's cake theme! xxx :)

14 comments:

  1. I really like the design, I'm a fun of LOTR too. One of the best cake decoration I've ever seen, Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    I love the cake! Looks awesome and all the details are amazing. Just a quick question: How did you do the grass? I know that you used icing but how did you manage to get it into the "grassy shape"?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for your kind comments. I used the Wilton tip 233 to pipe the grass. When you pipe, pull the bag up as you squeeze the icing to get the length of grass you want. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome!
      Now I´ve got a new baking challenge :) Will order the tip soon and then bake an awesome hobbit house cake. Thank you so much

      Delete
  3. You are very welcome! Would love to see your cake. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx. I can send u a photo - but you will have to wait a little bit for it. I will bake the cake at the end of Nov as a present :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Can't wait to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, really love this cake! My friend and I need to make a themed cake for a school project, and we were going to try doing a hobbit hole cake like yours. We were wondering what you used to colour the green icing (whether it was just liquid food colouring or a powder) and also what you used to make the flat grass at the front of the house (fondant?)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I used a gel food colouring for the grass but a liquid one will work too. For the front I used green fondant and then marked it with a Wilton tip 233 to give it some texture to look like grass. Good luck with the project and let me know if you have any more questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made Sam's hobbit-hole for my boyfriend's birthday - here it is! As you can see, I stole some of your ideas because I loved your cake :-)

    http://imgur.com/a/Jsh3q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cake looks awesome! I bet your boyfriend was pleased! Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  8. Hey I am wanting to make a hobbit hole cake for my Brothers Birthday what kind of cake tins did you use? I was thinking a flat roasting type tray, but I am not sure what to use to create the shape of the house itself any advice would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a large square tin (about 10 inches) and baked the cake in that. Then I halved the cake and placed one half on the other to give me the shape of the house. I cut a bit of the top front to angle it like you would a roof and the rest is piped on icing and fondant. Good luck with your cake!

      Delete