Thursday, October 27, 2011

How to make a fondant bee {Tutorial}


When I was making the farm cake for my friend's daughter, I also made some bees and ladybugs to put on cupcakes and on the main cake as well.  So I decided to multi-task and take some photos along the way on how I made my ladybugs and bees.

They are both very simple to do and here is my way of making a simple fondant bee.


1.  Roll a ball of yellow fondant into a tear drop.

2.  Cut thin strips of black fondant and lay them over the yellow.  Tuck the strips under and cut off any excess strips.

3.  Roll 2 balls of white fondant into a tear drop.  Press flat to form wings.

4.  Use two tiny pieces of black fondant for the eyes.  You can also use a toothpick and simply poke two tiny holes for the eyes.  I used a modelling tool for creating the smile but you can use a small round tip and press half the tip into the front of the face to get the curve.

5.  Leave to dry and then place on cake or cupcakes.  I used some buttercream icing to secure it to my cake.


And there you have a very simple and easy fondant bee!  I hope you have fun making them. :)


9 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Can I know what brand of fondant did you use? If I mould these figurines, where can I keep them? In a fridge or in an air-tight container and in a cool place? thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine,
    You can use any brand of fondant that is readily available to you. I used Bakel's Pettinice for these bees because that is what I have here. Once you have made your bees, let them air dry completely and then keep them in an air tight container, away from moisture, in a cool place. Do not put them in the fridge as they will absorb the moisture there. I hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I actually missed your comments. I tried making tebby bear and bees today. But not sure if it is due to the heat, thus they seems to be "melting" and getting soft. In the end, i put them in the fridge to harden them up. But after seeing your comments, I took them out again. Oh no... what should I do now? :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I really wanna say thank you very much for posting how to make tebby bear and bees here. It's my first time doing it... I had lots of fun with my daughter making these. :)

    Merry X'mas to you and your family in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monica,

    I'm so upset. My fondant didnt dry up but as a matter of fact, they melt and it was so ugly. So in the end, I decided not to bring it to the xmas party tomorrow.

    Even after a day, they are still soft and sticky. Can you advise what actually went wrong? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try mixing in a bit of tylose powder into the fondant and knead well.this hardens the fondant

      Delete
  6. Hi Elaine,
    It sounds like your fondant got too moist and that is why it got sticky and 'melty'. If the weather is rainy and humid, it doesn't help either. Best thing to do is to turn on a dehumidifier or air-conditioner to get your fondant to dry, or place it in front of a fan. It does take a while to dry in humid conditions. I hope you and your daughter get to do more fondant figures and have lots more fun. Merry Christmas to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Monica,

    Thank you so much for your reply! I will try again after xmas as I still have a packet of Bakel's Pettinice left. Maybe I should add more icing sugar to it to harden it up? Will it help?

    If I manage to succeed this time round, will keep you posted. :D

    Merry Xmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elaine,
    You can add a little icing sugar when working on your fondant, though I prefer to use cornflour or Crisco. A little goes a long way! Let me know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete