Recipe for Lemon Cheesecake with Blueberry Jelly
For the crust:
200g biscuits, finely crushed* (I used Digestives, my fav!)
120g butter, melted
For the filling:
500g cream cheese (I used Philadelphia)
180g caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
120ml sour cream
40g all-purpose flour, sifted
1tsp vanilla essence
1tsp finely grated lemon peel
4tbsp lemon juice
For the topping (optional):
120ml blueberry jelly
*[You can use a food processor or a rolling pin to crush the biscuits. If you're using the rolling pin, put the biscuits in a bag and then used the rolling pin to crush it.]
- Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter.
- Place the mixture into a well-greased and lined springform pan (I used a 9-inch pan), pressing it down firmly and evenly to cover the base. Refrigerate for 2 hours (or leave it in the freezer til your filling is done- works just as nicely!).
- Blend the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and egg yolks (if using).
- Add in flour, vanilla, lemon peel and juice and beat till mixture is smooth and glossy. (Use a low speed to beat the mixture and don't overbeat it.)
- Whisk the egg whites (if using) separately until stiff. Fold them carefully into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon the filling into the chilled crust and bake for one hour at 180°C. If you are making this without eggs, check it earlier, around 45-50 minutes. (I use a bain-marie or water bath to bake my cheesecake in. You can do this by placing the cheesecake pan into a larger roasting pan filled halfway with boiling water, then placing the whole thing in the oven to bake.)
- Once baked, leave the cheesecake in the oven to cool completely with the oven door slightly ajar.
- Refrigerate overnight in the pan.
- If using a topping, warm the blueberry jelly slightly in a pot. It will become more liquid which then makes it easier to spread. Spread it over the chilled cheesecake quickly before it sets.
- Chill again until ready to serve.
Happy baking! :)